Ah, language learning. It’s rewarding, it’s interesting, it’s GREAT for your career, but sometimes – just SOMETIMES – it’s downright annoying. The struggle can be real at times, but that’s all part of the process! Learning a language might not be easy, but we know it’s worth it despite the occasional headache. We put together a list of the 11 language learning problems we’re sure you’ll know are all too real…
1. The oh-so-frequent request of “What’s my name in [insert language here]?”
No Karen, your name isn’t different in Spanish. You’ll always just be Karen.
2. And who could possibly forget: “Why are you studying THAT?”
“Look, I don’t know why I chose to study Latvian, guys. It just seemed like a great idea at the time.”
3. Getting to that weird stage where you’re starting to forget words in your own language
“That? Oh yeah, it’s a…one minute, let me just Google that.”
4. Your textbook budget is bigger than your monthly grocery budget
“So that’s The Intermediate Guide to Finnish, The Intermediate Finnish Vocabulary Builder Part 1, The Intermediate Finnish Vocabulary Builder Part 2, The Intermediate Finnish Vocabulary Builder Workbook Parts 1, 2, and 3, and The Intermediate Finnish Vocabulary Builder Parts 1 and 2 on CD. That’ll be $643.95, please.”
5. Starting to adopt new mannerisms…and where did that intonation come from?
Who needs vocabulary when a Gallic shrug speaks a thousand words?
6. Writing lines of gibberish before realising you’ve forgotten to switch keyboards
“Why wo?ñt my pa$$*wörd wŒrk?”
7. If it’s not in present tense, forget about it
“I go to the party tomorrow, you come with me?”
8. Being able to understand the mean things people on the bus have been saying about you
“Yes, this haircut WAS intentional!”
9. Feeling proud about the progression you’ve made, then having a conversation with a native speaker
“But my teacher says I’m doing so well…”
10. Speaking to someone in the language you’re learning…when they don’t speak that language
“Danke is universal, right?”
11. And of course, exam after exam after exam…
It’s not a true test if you didn’t cram all your studying in the night before…
But in the end, you know that when you’ve totally mastered the language, it feels something like this…
Interested in joining the struggle with the millions people learning a language all across the globe? We can help guide you to create your perfect language stay! Get in touch with us to see where languages can take you.